Thursday, October 13, 2022

Stevie Wonder's "I Just Called To Say I Love You" reaches #1 1984


One of Stevie Wonder's greatest hits and one of my favorite songs, I Just Called to Say I Love You reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 October 13, 1984 and remained there for three weeks.  It topped the charts all over the world, giving Wonder his first ever #1 in the UK.

The song was featured on the soundtrack to The Woman In Red, a comedy starring Gene Wilder, Gilda Radner, and Kelly LeBrock.  I Just Called to Say I Love You won both the Golden Globe and an Academy Award for Best Original Song.  

Cash Box described it as "a tender and romantic love letter which captures the ever-present and Wonderous feeling of love and optimism."  It doesn't get much better than this.

Lyrics:

No New Year's Day to celebrateNo chocolate covered candy hearts to give awayNo first of spring, no song to singIn fact, here's just another ordinary day
No April rain, no flowers bloomNo wedding Saturday within the month of JuneBut what it is, is something trueMade up of these three words that I must say to you
I just called to say I love youI just called to say how much I careI just called to say I love youAnd I mean it from the bottom of my heart
No summer's high, no warm JulyNo harvest moon to light one tender August nightNo autumn breeze, no falling leavesNot even time for birds to fly to southern skies
No Libra sun, no HalloweenNo giving thanks to all the Christmas joy you bringBut what it is, though old, so newTo fill your heart like no three words could ever do
I just called to say I love youI just called to say how much I care, I doI just called to say I love youAnd I mean it from the bottom of my heart
I just called to say I love youI just called to say how much I care, I doI just called to say I love youAnd I mean it from the bottom of my heart
Of my heartOf my heart (baby, of my heart)



No comments: