Friday, October 6, 2017

Celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month - Robert Beltran, Roxann Dawson, Star Trek: Voyager



I tend to stay away from celebrities, such as musicans, actors, athletes, when honoring someone's heritage.  I prefer to celebrate the trailblazers, the firsts, the ones making a difference in everyone's life.  But sometimes, I have to suspend that rule and talk about my favorites.  Especially the ones that appear in Star Trek.

Robert Beltran (Mexican-Native American heritage) and Roxann Dawson (nee Cabarello) are stars of Star Trek:Voyager.  I believe it was the first show in the series to feature Hispanic/Latin characters. A friend once complained to a group of our friends about how there were no Hispanic females on television.  If I was there, I would have told him about Ms. Dawson, who has played Lt. Torres in more than one TV show.

I always thought Commander Chakotay was the coolest member of Star Trek: Voyager, the best Number 1 and the most underutilized member of the cast.  Beltran won a Golden Eagle award for his portrayal of Commander Chakotay.






No comments: