Diamond Head Crater from the east.
Diamond Head Lighthouse
One of the Hawaiian names for Diamond Head is "leahi", meaning wreath of fire, which reflects the ancient Hawaiian practice of lighting a fire on the crest of the volcano to guide canoe fleets back to the island. The first lighthouse built on this site in 1899 and rebuilt in 1917 when it developed cracks. It still uses the original Fresnell Lens and a 1000W electric bulb that can be seen more than 18 miles out to sea.
Mom enjoys the view.