Saturday, December 26, 2015

Book review - "Riding High" by Dale Chase



Dale Chase’s “Riding High” is an interesting love story set in Yuma, Arizona in 1889.  I enjoy historical fiction and I enjoyed this one but I’m amazed that it seems easier to hook up in late nineteenth century Arizona than in twentieth century Dallas.  I guess I was born 100 years too late.


Roy Shuster has just been released from serving a five-year prison sentence for murder.  Within minutes of getting his freedom, he hooks up with Abram, a big furry man with a heart of gold.  After a night of love-making, Abram helps Roy get back on his feet, helping him get a horse, clothes and money.  Instead of staying with a man who has shown he cares for him, Roy sets out for Tombstone.


Along the way, he is robbed of his horse and left on foot, but is soon rescued by Clay Bowman, who gives him a ride into Tombstone.  Roy hooks up with the second guy since his release two days prior.


I’m not familiar with life in the late 1880’s but I didn’t know people had a selection of restaurants to choose from when eating out. The anachronisms weren’t a distraction but Roy’s ease in finding sex seemed almost uncanny.  Perhaps it was easier in an area and time when women weren’t as abundant as men were for a booty call.

No comments: