We left Inner Harbor and drove to Fort McHenry.
Key Bridge in the distance.
The entrance to the fort.
The Ravelin Magazine. Near the end of the Civil War, several large cannon were mounted on the ravelin above, and in the adjacent water batter. The CO ordered that 1000 rounds of ammo be kept nearby for each gun. In 1866, this magazine and two others were built to safely store the additional gun powder.
Bombproofs: The arched chambers were built after the bombardment of 1814, when it became obvious places were needed. Fort McHenry was never shelled again and the bombproofs were never used for their intended purpose.
Guardhouses: During the Civil War, Fort McHenry served as a transfer point for Confederate prisoners of war. High-security prisoners were locked up here.