Thursday, November 3, 2022

Celebrating Native American Heritage Month: N. Scott Momaday, first Native American to win the Pulitzer for Fiction



Navarre Scott Momaday, born February 27, 1934 in Lawton, Oklahoma, is the first Native American to win the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction. His father was a full-blooded Kiowa. Scott was granted the award in 1969 for his novel House Made of Dawn, which is considered to be the "first major work of the Native American Renaissance."

He is the first professor to teach American Literature at Moscow State University in Russia. He was awarded a National Medal of Arts in 2007 and is one of the first inductees into the National Native American Hall of Fame.

I admit that I could not finish House Made of Dawn because of Momaday's non-sequential style of writing.  However, I think I should try to re-read it, since at the time, I was not aware of its importance.  


No comments: