Sunday, November 8, 2009

Author Spotlight - Jon Michaelsen



I was first introduced to Jon Michaelsen via cyberspace last year when he and I were writing short stories for loveyoudivine Alterotica's anthology "MEN", which includes Jon's story "Voyeur" and my "Safe Word". We were 'discovered' (so to speak) on writing.com's Erotica Harem. Both of us enjoy writing gay erotica so it thrilled us to have such an opportunity and we quickly became friends. After the release of "MEN", Jon arranged for a book-signing at OutWrite Books in Atlanta, Georgia, so I got to meet the man in person.


What a terrific guy and a sweetie!


Jon has been such a major supporter of my work that I'm a little embarrassed that I haven't featured his awesome work here before now.


I loved "Voyeur"!


I am loving "Pretty Boy Dead"!


And now he's got a new story "Prince of the Sea" coming soon to loveyoudivine Alterotica!


I asked Jon who his main inspiration has been for his writing:

The main inspiration for writing in the beginning was my beloved grandmother, who passed away one year ago. As a child, she encouraged my imagination and would often sit for hours listening to stories that I made up.

Who would you most like to be compared to?

That's a tough one, but I'd say a gay John Grisham. I love his writing; fast paced, thrilling and mysterious. I enjoying a little mystery and suspense in everything I write, regardless of genre. I prefer to write in many genres, not just mystery/suspense.


Who is your literary hero?


Actually, it would be the closeted gay homicide detective, Sergeant Kendall Parker, from my novel Pretty Boy Dead. He's definitely my alter-ego. Strong, tough, fearless, and yet compassionate, vulnerable and flawed.

Jon answered this on purpose. He knows that I'm in love with Sgt. Parker even though he's a fictional character. LOL

What is the latest on "Pretty Boy Dead"? I've enjoyed reading it and would like to see it become a series.


Okay - update on Pretty Boy Dead. I'm writing the final chapters and hope to submit for publishing in 2010. Yes, I am planning to fashion Sergeant Kendal Parker into a series. Pretty Boy Dead is the first that introducing the closeted gay Atlanta Homicide detective morning the loss of his lover while investigating the murder of a male stripper.

Yea!!


You said earlier that you write in many different genres, but if you were to step outside of your comfort zone, which genre would you most like to take a stab at?



I'd love to write a vampire or werewolf story.

No pun intended on the 'take a stab at'. Recently, you mentioned that you overcame a severe bout of writer's block. What happened that allowed your creative juices to start flowing again?



Writer's block is horrible! I don't recommend it for any writer! I guess I can trace the start back to late last year when my beloved grandmother - who practically raised me - passed away. She'd become very ill earlier in the ear and I spent a lot of time driving back and forth to Florida to visit her as much as possible. She died in late October of 2008, about the time I hit writer's block, which has lasted a year. Several serious setbacks happened in my life this past year, with things finally settling down, allowing me to again return to my true passion which is writing.

Personal setbacks are difficult to overcome though there are times they make great sources for stories. Tell us a little about your new work.


Here's a blurb for "Prince of the Sea"


Jonathan Lemke's ten-year partnership has hit the skids. In a last ditch effort to salvage their relationship, to rekindle the passion they once shared, he rents an old beach house on the southern Georgia coast, on a tiny island called Tybee. A vacation, he hoped, would provide two weeks of bliss away from their hectic daily lives. But, the romantic surprise backfires and he finds himself alone after his partner chose his career over him and jets off to Chicago to sign a high-profile client. Dulling his heartache with alcohol while sulking on the porch of the home facing the sea, Jonathan spots a man's head far out in the ocean. He appears in trouble, struggling to stay above the surface and caught in a strong riptide...


Jonathan races to the water’s edge, stripping off shirt, shoes, slacks and diving headlong into the churning waves. No sooner had he dove beneath the surface to offer aid, he too becomes caught up in the prevailing undertow. Battling to reach the surface, he soon tires and begins to lose consciousness, but not before something large and powerful slams into him from behind.


When he comes to, Jonathan is surrounded by frantic beachcombers pulling him back from the water's edge. How did he get to shore? What slammed into him from behind and caused the "whoosh" sensation he felt before blacking out? What happened to the man he saw struggling in the water…



Currently, your story "Voyeur" is available through loveyoudivine Alterotica. Give us a peek (pun intended this time! LOL)


Here is an excerpt from "Voyeur":


Kevin watched the man’s naked torso as he strode forward, his pumped out chest leading the way like a prized matador. The lines of his abdomen contracted and released with each step, forcing the top of his jeans to ride further below his hips. A dusting of dark fur dipped in a straight line below the navel to the treasure below. Tony’s frown gave way to a wide grin that played across his lips in humble vein.

“Here,” Kevin said, thrusting out the shirt. He moved to the kitchen counter with Tony at his heels. “I think this spot remover will do the trick.” Facing the sink, he soaked the stain on Tony’s shirt with the liquid, and lifted the handle of the water- spout. He rubbed the fabric between his fists, like his mother taught him years ago. Tony’s hands slid slowly across his hips and slipped into his front pockets.

Kevin caught his breath and tried to focus on the task of eliminating the stain, and not of his own hardness springing forth. He avoided speaking for fear the words wouldn’t make sense. He felt Tony move in closer, nudging, and placing his chin on his left shoulder. The smell of soap and musk blended in a most pleasing aroma that aroused his senses and awakened a desire he’d never experienced in all his years.

The day-old stubble of Tony’s chin caressed the side of his cheek. Tendrils of electricity shot through his body. He closed his eyes and sucked in a deep breath as the man’s large hands sank further into his pockets, the tips of his fingers coming together to probe the shaft of his yearning cock.

“Forget the shirt,” Tony whispered next to his ear.


Visit Jon at his website:

http://www.jonmichaelsen.net/

3 comments:

Jon Michaelsen said...

Alex - Thank you so much for the opportunity to be a featured author on your blog. I have greatly enjoyed our friendship and hope we have another chance to do a joint book signing again. That was fun - this time, I'm coming to D.C! Can't keep me away!!!

Thanks again, pal.

Jon Michaelsen
michaelsen.jon@gmail.com

Jon Michaelsen said...

Alex - thank you so much for having me as a featured author. I have enjoyed our friendship and hope we get another opportunity to join together in a book signing. This time, I'm heading to D.C.!

Thanks again, pal!

Jon Michaelsen

Alan Scott said...

My pleasure, Jon! I hope we can do something in DC or Baltimore soon! I hope this gives you a little more exposure. :)