Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Iguazu Falls, Brazil


I now know where the original site of the Garden of Eden from Genesis was. The beauty of Iguazu Falls adequately fits the description of Paradise in the Old Testament. From the first glimpse of the falls as I emerged from the jungle to the last stop at the foot of the largest cataratas, I felt stress washing away downstream in the fast current of water below me.
I have no idea why the sight of falling water is so soothing. Maybe it’s the roar as it crashes to the rocks below. Maybe it’s the foliage that lines the river and falls. Whatever it is, I know I could have stayed in one place and watched its mesmerizing sight for hours. And I probably would have if the rest of my tourist group hadn’t been so insistent to keep moving.
On the upside, as we headed upstream, Iguazu Falls revealed more if its beauty. Around each curve, more cascades were seen.
Two of these South American raccoons came out looking for some food. They were unruffled by the crowds and completely ignored us. Although they look cuddly, they have very sharp teeth which made us decide against reaching down to tickle them on the stomach.

When you thought there was nothing more to see, the head of the falls come into view.

A walkway takes you out over the river to the foot of the cataratas. The spray and the noise are glorious. Where the falls before empty your mind and body of the hassles and stresses of life the main cataratas invigorates and rejuvenates you. It fills the void left by bad vibes with a youthful vigor.

No comments: